Friday, May 29, 2009

Buford--post surgical update

The surgeon called a little bit ago and said that Buford did very well. Fortunately I have nothing new to report since the last update as nothing additional was found/done to him. He is going to be monitored very closely through the entire night as they need to make sure he does not have an abdominal bleed. He's on morphine (I could use some) and if he's stable enough he will come home tomorrow. I flat out told the surgeon that I'm in no rush to get him home if he's safer there. I'll pay the extra hospitalization charges to keep him there until Sunday just to make sure he's really ok the return home. He said he understood and that we would take it day by day.

Recap:

Gastropexy (stomach tacking)
Removal of spleen due to multiple nodules
Partial liver lobectomy due to the finding of a nodule
Tissue samples being sent for biopsy of stomach lining, intestines and the spleen/liver to UPENN
Clear evidence of esophagus damage from acid reflux (to be treated most likely with Prilosec)

Thank you all for being there for him (and me too).

No comments: