Friday, June 10, 2005

Technical Support Phone Call--if they only knew

The wonders of computers means that one becomes very acquainted with various hardware and software tech support people. Last night was no exception and if the guy had any idea what was REALLY going on he would have disconnected me!

I'm trying to get a bit closer to "today" here at home with my various computers, internet connections, printers, etc.--so it was time to network everything. Seemed easy enough to start with the printers so that I could work on the notebook and wirelessly print to the upstairs printer---yeah, right.

After doing EXACTLY what the instructions say to do...it was time to call "tech support." Everyone who has ever had to do this knows the routine--but have you ever had to deal with those people when you had a basset puppy in the house?

Ok, so I forgot to close the gates to keep Della from going into the living/dining room. And ok, I forgot to close the gate from the living room to the foyer that allows access to the entire house. All of this means: "Hey! Mom's on the phone---the playground is WIDE open!"

We all know that at some point during these tech support phone calls you have to "reboot" your machine. This only takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute with a MAC....for me it took over 3 minutes. Why you ask?

The tech guy kept asking me if the machine had rebooted and I kept saying, "No, still waiting." This small conversation occured while I was running up the stairs, then down the stairs, then up the stairs, then taking a sneaker out of her mouth, then down the stairs, then taking a throw pillow away from her, then up the stairs, then dragging her out from under the guest room bed and FINALLY getting the "pwincess" into her crate!

Oh, and yes, the print server finally works.

No comments: