Saturday, May 07, 2005

Big, Bushy, Black and White Kitty Cat---NOT!

I suppose that if anything had happened it would have been my own fault since I ran out of food for Buford and fed him Della's instead. Never change a basset hound's diet abruptly....but that's another post for another day.

With the wrong food in his belly, Buford woke me up at 3 AM because he HAD to go outside and, well, you know. And, when one of them has to go the other MUST join in the excursion. So downstairs we all ventured, me trying to keep my eyes closed and remain as close to staying asleep as possible. I put Della's leash on her, turn on the outside lights in the backyard and open the sliding glass door blinds. And there, in the middle of the yard was this big, bushy black and white kitty cat!

Ok, not a kitty cat. A big black animal with a huge white stripe down the center of it's back....and suddenly I was a VERY awake because I almost had the door open to let Buford outside BEFORE he was on a leash!

Buford was intrigued and Della--she was looking from the skunk to Buford to figure out how to react. Finally Buford gave this one big bark and the skunk took off...ok, waddled off.

If I hadn't been paying attention (as I'm sometimes not at that hour of the night--I wonder why) one of these pups would have had their nose right up against the butt end of that skunk....and THAT would have been a very bad thing.

No comments: